I absolutely LOVE the start of a new year! Time to try new things and challenge myself in new ways ~ and yes, these can be done at any time, but the start of a new year is my favorite time to do so.
One of the things I have been doing in recent years is participating in various reading challenges. This year, the two I have chosen are the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge and the Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge. The first is a lot MORE challenging, but the second is fun to participate in with a lot of my bookstagram friends. I love that there is no true pressure, you have all year to complete them, and you can pick any book you want for the different prompts! Don’t worry – if you want to start these now, it’s definitely not too late! One I did last year and enjoyed too was the PopSugar Reading Challenge. Who knows, I may attempt some of the unique prompts this year too!
Here are what these challenges look like in my book journal:
Now for book clubs!
I do participate in an IRL book club too, but that one is just getting started again and hasn’t been incredibly active. AND, it’s hard for me to always make it to meetings with kids, etc. I am participating in a bunch online book clubs this year though, and I love finding new titles and the discussions that evolve from them! Here they are!
- Saltwater Reads ~ an Instagram-only book club curated by two of my favorite readers, Stacey and Kourtney! All adult titles, lots of thrillers.
- Diverse Books Club ~ a Goodreads and Instagram-based book club focusing on books that highlight all kinds of diversity started by Madeleine of Top Shelf Text. There are adult, YA and middle grade titles for this one!
- Belletrist ~ this isn’t so much of a book club as a featured title each month that I try to read. Always unique and diverse picks that I never would have chosen otherwise.
- Penny Pushers ~ a Goodreads group that is reading one Louise Penny title in the Gamache series each month until we finish them! I am LOVING this series!
- Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club ~ this one is a paid book club run by Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy. Admission to the forums and such is closed at the time, but you can still see the titles and read along! Here is my current read for this one!
In addition to all of THAT, I somehow got talked into or talked myself into reading War and Peace this year. One chapter a day for 314 days! I’m so excited about it, and a lot of other bookish friends are doing this as well.
I would love to hear about your reading challenges and book clubs in the comments! Book club titles welcome so I can bring them to my IRL book club as suggestions!
Are we connected on Goodreads, Instagram and Twitter? If not, let’s fix that!
If you are an author looking for critique services, look no further! Head to my Critique Services page!